Patricia Bennett

Instagram

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Live Event Painting of Party


Fortieth Birthday Party, 30x40, Patricia Bennett
This was painted June 29.  It was a surprise party in a lovely house from the mid 1800's.

The party was to be in three different places in the house.  It began outside on the porch, during daylight, then moved inside after dark for dancing, and briefly in the music room for cake and Happy Birthday, then back to dancing.  How to show the entire party in three totally different rooms?

Sketches of the three party locations, done in pencil, Patricia Bennett


I decided to combine the three rooms in one painting.  I did a preliminary sketch of each room (the porch, the foyer, and the music room).  Then I did a large sketch combining all three.

Sketch combining the three rooms for the LEP composition, imaginary people, Patricia Bennett
Color study of three room combination, imaginary people, Patricia Bennett

I ended up taking out two walls, compressing the ceiling, enlarging the left columns, and so on.  It was complicated!  The music room is actually located perpendicular to the foyer.

The final challenge was that I needed to move with the party (without getting paint on anyone!).  So I set up on the porch, painted guests for a while.  Then the very gracious event planner helped me to move my things up the grand staircase in the foyer to paint the dancing.  And finally I moved to the music room for the cake.

I think it turned out really well!

A huge thanks to the hostess, the event planner and her assistants, and Sasha's catering.

No comments:

Post a Comment