Patricia Bennett

Instagram

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Birthday Party

97 Years Old, 18x24, acrylic on canvas, Patricia Bennett
Grandma's birthday party.  She's in the center in the burgundy sweater.

Process:
I set up my easel and painted for a few hours.  The sun went down, and people went inside, and I continued to paint.  I drew grandma first, then the table, and then the flowers, and then other people one by one.

It is very challenging and fun to paint people who are moving.  Aunt Judith is merely an abstract blur.  Aunt Lynn decided to put on her sun glasses, so she's a profile.  Cousin Kyle left, so he is barely in there.  Grandma managed to sit still at the end, so I have a nice likeness of her.

Grandma loved the painting.  She said, "It's my party."  And she took the painting home with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment